- Access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for Google Search Console
- Use the Metric Builder for Google Search Console
- Create a Custom Google Search Console Metric [Example]
- Add a Custom Google Search Console Metric to a Databoard
- Additional Information
How to access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for Google Search Console
Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics to access the Metric Builder for Google Search Console. Click the green + Create Custom Metric button and select your connected Google Search Console Account from the Data Source drop-down list.
Metric Builder is available on the Professional and higher plans. Request a trial of Metric Builder by following these steps.
How to use the Metric Builder for Google Search Console
Pro Tip: Add the word "by" in between the Metric and Dimension in order to determine an appropriate Custom Metric Name. From the Metric and Dimension examples outlined above, we could create the Custom Metric "Clicks by Device," ''Impressions by County,'' or ''CTR by Page.''
Pro Tip: If you don't select any Search Type filter, data will be filtered by "Web search results" by default.
F) Filter by (Optional): Filters restrict the data that gets included in the Custom Metric. All data that is returned is tested against the Filter(s). Multiple Filters can be combined using AND boolean logic.
Pro Tip: If you don't know which Filters to put in place for your use case, use the Dimension + Data Preview to troubleshoot and get more insight into the data that is returned from your Google Search Console Account for each field. Learn more here.
How to create a Custom Google Search Console Metric [Example]
In this example, we'll create a Custom Metric to report on CTR by Page, further filtered by Image Search Results.
- Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics
- Click the green + New Custom Metric button
- Select the appropriate Google Search Console Data Source
- The Value we want returned is CTR, so we'll select Clicks from the Metric drop-down list
- Next, we'll select Page from the Dimension drop-down list so that the CTR values returned are split up based on Page.
- We're interested in tracking Image search results, so we'll select Image search results in the Search Type field
- We don't need to filter the data further, so we will leave the Filter section blank
- To accurately explain what this Custom Metric is reporting on, we'll name the Custom Metric ''CTR by Page (Image search results)''
- Click Preview data to generate a Data Preview of the Custom Metric
- Once we confirm that these are the results we're looking for, we'll click Save to save the Custom Metric
How to add a Custom Google Search Console Metric to a Databoard
Learn how to add a Custom Metric to a Databoard here.