- Access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for Microsoft Advertising
- Use the Metric Builder for Microsoft Advertising
- Create a Custom Microsoft Advertising Metric [Example]
- Add a Custom Microsoft Advertising Metric to a Databoard
- Additional Information
How to access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for Microsoft Advertising
Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics to access the Metric Builder for Microsoft Advertising. Click the green + New Custom Metric button and select your connected Microsoft Advertising Account from the Data Source drop-down list.
Metric Builder is available on the Professional and higher plans. Request a trial of Metric Builder by following these steps.
How to use the Metric Builder for Microsoft Advertising
Pro Tip: Add the word "by" in between the Metric and Dimension in order to determine an appropriate Custom Metric Name. From the Metric and Dimension examples outlined above, we could create the Custom Metrics "Clicks by Ad Group," "Conversions by Campaign," or "Spend by Ad Type."
Pro Tip : If you don't know which Filters to put in place for your use case, use the Dimension + Data Preview to troubleshoot and get more insight into the data that is returned from your Microsoft Advertising Account for each field. Learn more here.
How to create a Custom Microsoft Advertising Metric [Example]
In this example, we'll create a Custom Metric to report on Impressions split up based on the Ad. We only want to include Ads from our "Red" Campaign.
- Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics
- Click the green + New Custom Metric button
- Select the appropriate Microsoft Advertising Data Source
- We'll select Impressions from the Metric drop-down list
- Since we want to split up the Impressions based on Ad, select Ad Title as the Dimension
- Then, we want to restrict the Custom Metric to only retain data for the Campaign called "Red." Therefore, we'll add a Filter to the Custom Metric
First, click on the Advanced Options hyperlink to open the Filters section of the Metric Builder. Click on the Filter dropdown and select by Dimension. The Dimension we want to select is Campaign Name. Next, click on the Operator dropdown, and select Equals. Lastly, in the Value textbox enter the exact Campaign name
- In order to accurately explain what this Custom Metric is reporting on, we'll name the Custom Metric "Impressions by Ad (Campaign: Red)"
- Click Preview data to generate a Data Preview of the Custom Metric
- Once we confirm that these are the results we're looking for, we'll click Save to save the Custom Metric
How to add a Custom Microsoft Advertising Metric to a Databoard
Learn how to add a Custom Metric to a Databoard here.