- Access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for Matomo (Dimension Report)
- Use the Metric Builder for Matomo (Dimension Report)
- Create a Custom Matomo Dimension Report Metric [Example]
- Add a Custom Matomo Dimension Report Metric to a Databoard
- Additional Information
How to access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for Matomo (Dimension Report)
Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics to access the Metric Builder. Click the green + New Custom Metric button and select your connected Matomo Account from the Data Source drop-down list. Select the Dimension Report radio button.
Metric Builder is available on the Professional and higher plans. Request a trial of Metric Builder by following these steps.
How to use the Metric Builder for Matomo (Dimension Report)A) Data Source: This is the Matomo Data Source that the Custom Metric is syncing data from.
Pro Tip: Add the word "by" in between the Metric and Dimension in order to determine an appropriate Custom Metric Name. From the Metric and Dimension examples outlined above, we could create the Custom Metrics "Visits by Country," "Total Searches by Device Type," or "Clicks by Channel Type."
Pro Tip : If you don't know which segments to put in place for your use case, use the Dimension + Data Preview to troubleshoot and get more insight into the data that is returned from your Matomo Account for each field. Learn more here.
How to create a Custom Matomo Dimension Report Metric [Example]
In this example, we'll create a Custom Metric to report on Visits tracked in the Matomo Account, split up based on Country.
- Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics
- Click the green + New Custom Metric button
- Select the appropriate Matomo Data Source
- Select the Dimension Report radio button.
- Select Visits from the Metric drop-down list
- Next, we'll select Country from the Dimension drop-down list so that the Visits values returned are split up based on Country.
- We don't need to further add Segments to the data, so we will leave the Segments section blank.
- In order to accurately explain what this Custom Metric is reporting on, we'll name the Custom Metric "Visits by Country"
- Click Preview data to generate a Data Preview of the Custom Metric.
- Once we confirm that these are the results we're looking for, we'll click Save to save the Custom Metric.
How to add a Custom Matomo Dimension Report Metric to a Databoard
Learn how to add a Custom Metric to a Databoard here.
- The Data Preview is limited to display a maximum of 20 Dimensions per Date Range for Dimensional Metrics. Dimensions will be sorted by descending value, therefore the 20 Dimensions with the highest total values will be displayed in the Data Preview for each Date Range.
- With this Metric Builder, we are able to pull data for Dimensional Metrics "Unique Visitors" via the API. However, this Metric is not able in Matomo UI which means that the values are not visible in your Matomo Account.