- Access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for HubSpot Marketing (Blogs)
- Use the Metric Builder for HubSpot Marketing (Blogs)
- Create a Custom Blog Metric [Example]
- Add a Custom Blog Metric to a Databoard
- Additional Information
How to access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for HubSpot Marketing (Blogs)
Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics to access the Metric Builder for HubSpot Marketing. Click the green + New Custom Metric button and select your connected HubSpot Marketing Account from the Data Source drop-down list. Select the Blog button.
Metric Builder is available on the Professional and higher plans. Request a trial of Metric Builder by following these steps.
How to use the Metric Builder for HubSpot Marketing (Blogs)
Pro Tip: Add the word "by" in between the Metric and Dimension in order to determine an appropriate Custom Metric Name. From the Metric and Dimension examples outlined above, we could create the Custom Metrics "Pageviews by Blog Post," "Avg Time on Page by Blog Post," or "CTA Clicks by Blog Post."
If there is no data returned for the specified Date Range(s), no data will be displayed in the Data Preview.
Pro Tip : If you don't know which Filters to put in place for your use case, use the Dimension + Data Preview to troubleshoot and get more insight into the data that is returned from your HubSpot Marketing Account for each field. Learn more here.
How to create a Custom Blog Metric [Example]
In this example, we'll create a Custom Metric to return a list of CTA Views by Blog Post from our "Red" Campaign.
- Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics
- Click the green + New Custom Metric button
- Select the appropriate HubSpot Marketing Data Source and the Blog button
- We will select CTA Views from the Metric dropdown list, since we want to track the total amount of CTA Views per Blog Post
- The Dimension field is set as Blog Post for this Metric Builder
- Lastly, we want to restrict the Custom Metric to only retain data for the "Red" Campaign, so we'll add a Filter to the Custom Metric
First, click on the Advanced Options hyperlink to open the Filter section of the Metric Builder. Click on the Filter dropdown and select Dimension. Next, we'll set the Dimension as Campaign, the Operator as Equals and enter Red (the Campaign Name) in the Value textbox.
- In order to accurately explain what this Custom Metric is reporting on, we'll name the Custom Metric CTA Views by Blog Post (Red Campaign)
- Click Preview data to generate a Data Preview of the Custom Metric
- Once we confirm that these are the results we're looking for, we'll click Save to save the Custom Metric
How to add a Custom Blog Metric to a Databoard
- Open the selected Databoard in the Databox Designer, or create a new Databoard.
- Drag and drop a blank Datablock onto the Databoard from the Visualization Library.
- Select the appropriate HubSpot Marketing Data Source from the righthand Datablock Settings panel. This must be the same HubSpot Marketing Account that was selected when creating the Custom Metric.
- Select the Custom tab at the top of the Metric drop-down list.
- Select the Custom Metric name to populate the Datablock.
- If there is no data returned for the specified Date Range(s), no data will be displayed in the Preview data.
- Daily data is not available for Custom Metrics created through this Metric Builder. Because of this, you will want to view your Custom Blog Metrics on a Visualization Type that does not necessitate granularity options. Line Charts and Bar Charts will not be good Visualization Types for this data, but Tables, Pie Charts, and Number Blocks will be.
- When using Filters to create Custom Metrics, data will only be returned for Blog Posts published within the last 36 months.
- "Average Time on Page" is defined as the average amount of time a visitor stays on a particular page. This is calculated by the following equation: Total Time on Page / Pageviews on Page.