- Access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for Facebook Ads (Ads Reporting)
- Use the Metric Builder for Facebook Ads (Ads Reporting)
- Create a Custom Ads Reporting Metric [Example]
- Add a Custom Ads Reporting Metric to a Databoard
- Additional Information
How to access Custom Metrics and Metric Builder for Facebook Ads (Ads Reporting)
Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics to access the Metric Builder for Facebook Ads. Click the green + New Custom Metric button and select your connected Facebook Ads Account from the Data Source drop-down list. Select the Ads Reporting radio button.
Metric Builder is available on the Professional and higher plans. Request a trial of Metric Builder by following these steps.
How to use the Metric Builder for Facebook Ads (Ads Reporting)
Pro Tip: Add the word "by" in between the Metric and Dimension in order to determine an appropriate Custom Metric Name. From the Metric and Dimension examples outlined above, we could create the Custom Metrics "Reach by Campaign," "Clicks by Region," or "Impressions by Device Platform."
Pro Tip: If you don't know which Filters to put in place for your use case, use the Dimension + Data Preview to troubleshoot and get more insight into the data that is returned from your Snapchat Account for each field. Learn more here.
How to create a Custom Ads Reporting Metric [Example]
In this example, we'll create a Custom Metric to report on "Link Clicks" tracked in the Facebook Ads Account, split up based on the Device that was used to perform the action. We only want to view this data for our "Red" Campaign that's currently running.
- Navigate to Metrics > Custom Metrics
- Click the green + New Custom Metric button
- Select the appropriate Facebook Ads Data Source
- By default, the Ads Reporting radio button is selected
- Since a "Link Click" is an action that we're tracking, we will select Actions from the Metric dropdown list.
- After selecting Actions as the Metric, a new field is exposed called Action Type. Click on Action Type and select Link Clicks from the dropdown list.
- Since we want to split up all Link Clicks based on the Device where the action was performed, we'll select Device Platform as the Dimension.
- Lastly, we want to restrict the Custom Metric to only retain data for the Campaign called "Red." Therefore, we'll add a Filter to the Custom Metric.
First, click on the Advanced Options hyperlink to open the Filter section of the Metric Builder. Click on the Filter by dropdown and select Campaign. Next, click on the Operator dropdown, and select Equals. Lastly, in the Value textbox enter the exact Campaign name.
If you are unsure of the exact Campaign name, change the Operator to Contains. This will make it so any Facebook Ad Campaign that contains the String "Red" will be included in the Custom Metric results.
- In order to accurately explain what this Custom Metric is reporting on, we'll name the Custom Metric "Link Clicks by Device (Campaign: Red)"
- Click Preview data to generate a Data Preview of the Custom Metric.
- Once we confirm that these are the results we're looking for, we'll click Save to save the Custom Metric.
How to add a Custom Ads Reporting Metric to a Databoard
- Open the selected Databoard in the Databox Designer, or create a new Databoard.
- Drag and drop a blank Datablock onto the Databoard from the Visualization Library.
- Select the appropriate Facebook Ads Data Source in the righthand Property Manager. This must be the same Facebook Ads Account that was selected when creating the Custom Metric.
- Select the Custom tab at the top of the Metric drop-down list.
- Select the Custom Metric name to populate the Datablock.