Guide: Using SEMrush with Databox
How to connect SEMrush to Databox
IN THIS SECTION
- How to connect SEMrush to Databox
- How to report on Project data
- How to report on multiple Position Tracking Campaigns within 1 project
- How to report on Competitors data from SEMrush
- How much historical data is synced when you first connect SEMrush to Databox?
- What time zone does SEMrush data sync in?
- Which SEMrush plans have API access?
- How often does SEMrush data sync?
How to connect SEMrush to Databox
To connect a SEMrush Account in Databox, go to Data Sources > + New connection. Type SEMrush in the search bar and click on the green Connect button.
This will open the Authorization window, which is where you will be prompted to enter your API Key (required) and up to 5 Competitor URLs (optional).
- API Key: The API Key in SEMrush can be found by navigating to User Profile > API > Begin: Get API Key
- Competitor Fields: In order to report on competitor data in Databox, you must manually enter Competitor URLs. Competitor fields need to be inserted manually. If you choose to not enter any Competitor URLs, Position Tracking metrics will only return data for your URL domain.
How to report on Project data
When you set up a Project in SEMrush, make sure that you enter your Domain without www. The Domain should be entered in the form "urlname.com" and not as "www.urlname.com".
If the Project Domain is not set correctly, this can cause missing keywords for the "Top Keywords by Position" Metric.
How to report on multiple Position Tracking Campaigns within 1 project
Pro Tip: In order to support multiple Position Tracking Campaigns within one project, each Campaign must be added as a separate Data Source connection in Databox.
- 1 Navigate to Management > Projects
- 2 Select the project whose Business Name you would like to access
- 3 Select Positioning Tracking
- 4 In the upper righthand corner, click the Settings icon and select Tracking + Project Name
- 5 Copy the Business Name from the Business Name for Local Map Pack textbox
- 1 Navigate to the Data Manager
- 2 Find SEMrush Data Source, using the Search bar if necessary
- 3 Next to the Details button, click on the arrow and select Edit
- 3 In the Business Name field, paste the exact Business Name from SEMrush
How to report on Competitors data from SEMrush
When you connect your SEMrush Data Source to Databox, you can specify the competitors you want to monitor and compare your data against. This can be done during the initial connection process or by editing the Data Source connection.
To add or edit Competitors for an existing Data Source connection, navigate to Data Manager and select your SEMrush Data Source. From the Details drop-down menu select Edit. Add competitors and save the changes.
The given Metrics will display data only for the given competitors. These metrics are:
- Visibility trend by Competitor
- Estimated traffic by Competitor
- Average position by Competitor
How much historical data is synced when you first connect SEMrush to Databox?
When you connect a new SEMrush Data Source in Databox, 3 months worth of historical data is initially synced.
For "Keyword" Metrics, such as "Top Keywords by position", only keywords that have been tracked in the past 33 days are synced with Databox.
Pro Tip: Once your SEMrush Data Source is connected and actively syncing data, we store the data that's collected in our own database. This allows us to accumulate more data over time as more data syncs are made so that you can report on more historical SEMrush data in your Databox reports. Learn more here.
What time zone does SEMrush data sync in?
SEMrush data is synced in UTC.
Which SEMrush plans have API access?
SEMrush API units are only available on SEMrush's Business Plan. Learn more about SEMrush API Access here.
How often does SEMrush data sync?
By default, all connected SEMrush connections will sync once a day. This is because API units are charged inside SEMrush, and a complete day of hourly data syncs would use 10,500 API units.
If you're interested in lowering your SEMrush costs, you can reduce the sync frequency further to once per week or once per month. Please contact [email protected] for more information.
How to access pre-built SEMrush Templates
Pro Tip: Once the Databoard is available on the Databoards page, it is completely disconnected from the public Template. Therefore, you can further customize this Databoard to meet your specific needs using the Designer.
Popular SEMrush Templates
How to build a Databoard using SEMrush data
If a pre-built Datablock isn't available for your use case, click on the Visualization Types icon under the Datablock Library icon
Popular SEMrush Metrics
|Visibility Trend||Keywords in Top 3||Top Keywords by Position|
View a full list of SEMrush Metrics available in Databox here.