Guide: Using SEMrush with Databox
How to connect SEMrush to Databox
IN THIS SECTION
How to connect SEMrush to Databox
To connect a SEMrush Account in Databox, go to Data Sources > + New connection. Type SEMrush in the search bar and click on the green Connect button.
This will open the Authorization window, which is where you will be prompted to enter your API Key (required) and up to 5 Competitor URLs (optional).
- API Key: The API Key in SEMrush can be found by navigating to User Profile > API > Begin: Get API Key
- Competitor Fields: In order to report on competitor data in Databox, you must manually enter Competitor URLs. Competitor fields need to be inserted manually. If you choose to not enter any Competitor URLs, Position Tracking metrics will only return data for your URL domain.
How to report on multiple Position Tracking Campaigns within 1 project
Pro Tip: In order to support multiple Position Tracking Campaigns within one project, each Campaign must be added as a separate Data Source connection in Databox.
- 1 Navigate to Management > Projects
- 2 Select the project whose Business Name you would like to access
- 3 Select Positioning Tracking
- 4 In the upper righthand corner, click the Settings icon and select Tracking + Project Name
- 5 Copy the Business Name from the Business Name for Local Map Pack textbox
- 1 Navigate to the Data Manager
- 2 Find SEMrush Data Source, using the Search bar if necessary
- 3 Next to the Details button, click on the arrow and select Edit
- 3 In the Business Name field, paste the exact Business Name from SEMrush
How much historical data is synced when you first connect SEMrush to Databox?
When you connect a new SEMrush Data Source in Databox, 3 months worth of historical data is initially synced.
For "Keyword" Metrics, such as "Total Keywords Tracked (Position Tracking)", only keywords that have been tracked in the past 33 days are synced with Databox.
Pro Tip: Once your SEMrush Data Source is connected and actively syncing data, we store the data that's collected in our own database. This allows us to accumulate more data over time as more data syncs are made so that you can report on more historical SEMrush data in your Databox reports. Learn more here.
What time zone does SEMrush data sync in?
SEMrush data is synced in UTC.
Which SEMrush plans have API access?
SEMrush API units are only available on SEMrush's Business Plan. Learn more about SEMrush API Access here.
How often does SEMrush data sync?
By default, all connected SEMrush connections will sync once a day. This is because API units are charged inside SEMrush, and a complete day of hourly data syncs would use 10,500 API units.
If you're interested in more frequent SEMrush data syncs, please contact [email protected]
How to access pre-built SEMrush Templates
Pro Tip: Once the Databoard is available on the Databoards page, it is completely disconnected from the public Template. Therefore, you can further customize this Databoard to meet your specific needs using the Designer.
Popular SEMrush Templates
How to build a Databoard using SEMrush data
If a pre-built Datablock isn't available for your use case, click on the Visualization Types icon under the Datablock Library icon
Popular SEMrush Metrics
|Visibility Trend||Keywords in Top 3||Top Keywords by Position|
View a full list of SEMrush Metrics available in Databox here.
- Position Tracking Metrics all have "Position Tracking" in the Metric name. Some examples are "Overall average position (Position Tracking)," "Keywords in TOP 3 (Position Tracking)," and "Total Keywords Tracked (Position Tracking)."
The behavior of the "Top Keywords by Position" MetricIf a keyword position falls out of the top 100, it will be displayed as n/a in SEMrush. However, in Databox we need to show a piece of data for the keyword since we cannot display a blank value. That is why we display the position value of 101 for these keywords. This does not mean that the keyword is in the 101st position, but rather that the keyword is not among the top 100 keywords by position and is marked n/a in SEMrush - has no displayed value.
- The "by Competitor" Metrics
After you connect your SEMrush Data Source to Databox, you can edit the competitors you want to monitor and compare. Go to your SEMrush Data Source in Databox and select Edit from the Details drop-down menu - here, you can add competitors.
The given Metrics will display data only for the given competitors. These metrics are:
- Visibility trend by Competitor
- Estimated traffic by Competitor
- Average position by Competitor